Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Nov 21 20:20:58 EST 2000

The "The 'ippget' Delivery Method for Event Notifications" documents are
down-loaded.  The .txt version is being send to the Internet-Draft editor.
When it is published as an I-D, Carl-Uno will send it to the IESG.  This was
mainly editorial work: fix the title as noted during the last call and to
align the presentation with the other Delivery Method documents, plus
indicate under IANA Considerations:

The 'ippget' URL scheme for the 'ippget' Delivery Method will be registered
with IANA according to the procedures of [RFC2717].  According to RFC 2717,
we have to write a simple RFC in order to register a URL scheme.

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-notify-get-001116-rev.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-notify-get-001116-rev.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-notify-get-001116-rev.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-notify-get-001116.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/ipp-notify-get-001116.txt
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_NOT/draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-01.txt

Abstract
The notification extension document [ipp-ntfy] defines operations that a
client can perform in order to create Subscription Objects in a Printer and
carry out other operations on them. A Subscription Object represents a
Subscription abstraction. The Subscription Object specifies that when one of
the specified Events occurs, the Printer sends an asynchronous Event
Notification to the specified Notification Recipient via the specified
Delivery Method (i.e., protocol).
The notification extension document [ipp-ntfy] specifies that each Delivery
Method is defined in another document. This document is one such document,
and it specifies the 'ippget' delivery method.
The 'ippget' Delivery Method is a 'pull and push' Delivery Method. That is,
the Printer saves Event Notification for a period of time and expects the
Notification Recipient to fetch the Event Notifications (the pull part). The
Printer continues to send Event Notifications to the Notification Recipient
as Events occur (the push part) if the client has selected the option to
wait for additional Event Notifications.
When a Printer supports this Delivery Method, it holds each Event
Notification for an amount of time, called the Event Notification Lease
Time.
When a Notification Recipient wants to receive Event Notifications, it
performs an IPP operation called 'Get-Notifications', which this document
defines. This operation causes the Printer to return all Event Notifications
held for the Notification Recipient. If the Notification Recipient has
selected the option to wait for additional Event Notifications, the Printer
continues sending Event Notifications to the Notification Recipient as
additional Events occur.

Tom