IPP> Comments on Media Size Objectives

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu May 10 00:13:02 EDT 2001

18 objectives for a "2-bit" "name" field!

Comments...

1. We have a compromise, not an optimization (for machine parsing).
   Suggest the concept of "facilitate" be stressed over "optimize".

4. Edit - "Only include the name in its native units" (delete "each").

5. Dump this goal!! (additional units) This has been a rat trap!
   The compromise syntax we are developing is too stressed by this
   goal. Save this for a full fledged schema.

6. I think the notion of "self describing" has been misinterpreted.
   Some feel a description should contain more (margins etc.). Some
   think "self describing" means easy to read and distinguish. It
   might be better to simply state... "The "Standard Media Name" will
   contain both a "Name" part and a "Dimension" part."

7,8,9. I think these can all be replaced by simply extending the above
       (6) to read "The "Standard Media Name" will contain 3 parts,
        1. Naming Authority
        2. Name
        3. Dimension

10. Given (6,7,8,9 - above) this is just stating the obvious. This
registry
    is a simple list. If we find stuff we've missed, we help ourselves add
    it. If we missed a galaxy or universe our there, somewhere... (i.e.
    an entire naming authority) or if we want to establish a new name
    space, we can readily do so.

On and On... I don't know about the rest. Glazed donuts come to mind.
Or... a real schema development effort!