McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Mon Jul 16 19:57:02 EDT 2001

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply.

You don't mention whether you also do an SLP registration for
LPR and AppleTalk queues?

The population of multiple SLP registrations for the same printer
will cause multiple LDAP Printer objects for the same printer
automatically by the behavior of SLPv2 DAs that shadow SLP
registrations to the customer's enterprise directory via LDAP
(which also causes enterprise distribution and replication of
Printer objects).

While this behavior is not required of SLPv2 DAs, it is considered
(at least by some) to be the best practice default DA behavior (i.e.,
find an LDAP server via DNS or DHCP or SLP during bootup and then
automatically begin shadowing service registrations into LDAP).

Comments?

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald