mjoel at netreon.com mjoel at netreon.com
Fri Jul 20 10:18:12 EDT 2001

Hi Michael,

I argued about this for a while in the teleconference call.  It seemed to
me that the client needed to know when it got the end of the bytes of an
event notification attributes group.  It turns out that Get-Notifications
with waiting requires the use of HTTP 1.1's chunking.  Each returned chunk
will contain 1 or more event notification attributes groups (although I
expect that for most implementations it will only be 1).

The nice division between HTTP processing and IPP processing has been
blurred a little on both client and server.  On the server, if the printer
decides to support a request for Get-Notifications with waiting, it will
start a chunked HTTP reply.  It will then send one chunk containing the
first part of the IPP reply including any event notification attribute
groups for events that have already occurred (which is not terminated by
end-of-attributes-tag).  As each event occurs it will send a chunk
containing only an event notification attributes group.  If the printer
decides to stop sending events when an event occurs, it will send a chunk
which contains the event notification attributes group containing the event
that occurred, another group containing just a notify-get-interval
attribute, and an end-of-attributes-tag.  If the printer decides to stop
sending events when an event has not just occurred, it will send a chunk
which contains an event notification attributes group containing just a
notify-get-interval attribute, and an end-of-attributes-tag.  Any function
that does encoding must now be told if it should build a complete reply, a
first chunk, an intermediate chunk, or a last chunk.  On the client, when
it issues Get-Notifications with waiting, it needs to be prepared to
receive the HTTP chunks.

Note to Tom: maybe the ippget spec should explain this.

Regards,

Marty

Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com>@pwg.org on 07/19/2001 06:55:20 PM

Sent by:  owner-ipp at pwg.org