Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Jul 20 14:44:29 EDT 2001

Marty and Michael,

I think we all agree that HTTP chunking cannot convey any semantics for IPP.
We need to keep the layers separate.  We have tried to design the IPP Model
and Semantics, so that it could be conveyed on other transports besides
HTTP.

Your idea of using multi-part/related with each part being an
application/ipp part.  The first part is the initial response with all the
pending Event Notifications (and doesn't end with the
'end-of-attributes-tag').  Each subsequent part is one or more additional
Event Notification Attributes Groups that have occurred as a "bunch" (and
doesn't end with the 'end-of-attributes-tag').  The last part will contain
one or more Event Notification Attributes Groups and an
'end-of-attributes-tag' when there are no more events possible (all
Subscription objects in the scope of the Get-Notifications are gone or the
Printer wants to end wait mode and returns the "notify-get-interval"
attribute in a separate Event Notification Attributes Group).

Comments?

Tom