IPP> comments on http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-ur l-scheme-00.txt

Herriot, Robert Robert.Herriot at pahv.xerox.com
Mon Jan 15 15:38:40 EST 2001

Here are a few minor comments about
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-url-scheme-00.txt

Change "Xerox" and "Xerox Corp" to "Xerox Corporation"

Section 5.2 a implies that an admin cannot configure a printer to accept
jobs on port 80 and not on port 631. If this is our intention, we should
explicitly state that a conforming IPP printer MUST NOT allow an
administration to disable port 631 if other ports can accept IPP jobs. If
this is not our intention, we should add the "unless explicitly configured
by system administrators or site policies"

Here is an issue that probably should be addressed in sections 4.1, 5.1 and
5.2. The document contains no discussion of what the 'host' and 'path' mean
in the context of a printer. The reader probably know what it means for an
HTTP URL, but not what it means for a printer.

We should probably say that a printer can be identified by a host or a host
and a path, and that two printers with the same host but different paths are
intended to be different printers. Here is some suggested text.

The following are examples of URLs for IPP printers: "ipp://abc.com",
"ipp://abc.com/printer",
"ipp://abc.com/tiger","ipp://abc.com/printers/tiger","ipp://abc.com/printers
/fox","ipp://abc.com/printers/tiger/bob",
"ipp://abc.com/printers/tiger/ira", "ipp://printer.abc.com",
"ipp://printers.abc.com/tiger","ipp://printers.abc.com/tiger/bob" and
"ipp://printers.abc.com/tiger/ira".

All of the above URLs are legitimate URLs for IPP printers. Each of these
URLs references a printer which is logically different from the printers
referenced by any of the other sample URLs, even though some may share the
same hardware. The last part of the path "bob" or "ira" may represent two
different hardware devices where "tiger" represents some grouping of
printers or the two names may represent separate human recipients ("bob" and
"ira") on the printer named "tiger". In either case both "bob" and "ira" act
as different printers.

Bob Herriot