Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jan 16 20:09:32 EST 2001

I just discovered in the IANA Registry of MIME Media types, that
'application/ipp' has been registered with a reference to the RFC 2910.
Here is the extract of the Registry:

http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/

In this sub-directory is a flat file:

http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types

which contains the following entries (... indicates lines that I have
deleted):

MEDIA TYPES

[RFC2045,RFC2046] specifies that Content Types, Content Subtypes, Character
Sets, Access Types, and conversion values for MIME mail will be
assigned and listed by the IANA.

Content Types and Subtypes
--------------------------

Type            Subtype         Description                 Reference
----            -------         -----------                 ---------
text            plain                               [RFC2646,RFC2046]

application     octet-stream                        [RFC2045,RFC2046]
                postscript                          [RFC2045,RFC2046]
                ipp                                         [RFC2910]

If you go down to the application sub-directory and click on ipp:
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/application/ipp

you get just the line text file:  See RFC 2910.

We probably do need to send Appendix B from RFC 2910 to IANA as a mail
message following the procedures for registration.  Then when bugging on the
application/ipp, the user would get the mail message with all the fields
filled in, rather than just the single-line text message: See RFC 2910.

Comments?

Tom