McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Feb 13 20:39:17 EST 2001

Copies: Carl-Uno Manros <cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com>
        IPP WG <ipp at pwg.org>
        SVRLOC WG <srvloc at srvloc.org>

Hi folks,                                     Tuesday (13 February 2001)

I've just sent a new version of 'IPP: IPP URL Scheme' to the
Internet-Drafts editor and posted a copy on the PWG server in the
directory 'ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_URL/' in the files:

    draft-ietf-ipp-url-scheme-02.txt (13 February 2001)

    draft-ietf-ipp-url-scheme-02.pdf (PDF w/ line numbers of '.txt')

The substance of this document is in five pages, starting at page 5 (see
the change log below).  Carl-Uno Manros (IETF IPP WG chair) plans to
discuss this document at the IETF 50 Plenary in Minneapolis in March.

The most important change is the correction of the typographical error
stating "http:" rather than "ipp:" in the one-line ABNF (which was cut
and pasted from HTTP/1.1, RFC 2616, into the previous '-01' version).

Comments?

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
  High North Inc
  imcdonald at sharplabs.com
  imcdonald at crt.xerox.com

Appendix X - Change History

   [To be deleted before RFC publication]

   13 February 2001 - draft-ietf-ipp-url-scheme-02.txt
   - revised section 3 'IPP Model for Printers and Jobs' and section 4.5
     'IPP URL Scheme Syntax in ABNF' to add notes stating that "IPP URL"
     (in this document) is a synonym for "ipp-URL" in [RFC-2910], per
     request of Bob Herriot;
   - revised section 4.5 'IPP URL Scheme Syntax in ABNF' to correct typo
     that showed "http:" rather than "ipp:" in the one-line ABNF, per
     request of Tom Hastings;
   - revised section 4.5.1 'IPP URL Examples' to add a note discouraging
     the use of literal IP addresses in URLs, per [RFC-2616] and
     [RFC-1900];

Copies: "Internet Drafts Editor" <internet-drafts at ietf.org>
        "Carl-Uno Manros" <cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com>
        "Bob Herriot" <robert.herriot at pahv.xerox.com>
        "Ira McDonald" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>
        "Ira McDonald" <imcdonald at crt.xerox.com>

I-D Editor,                                   Tuesday (13 February 2001)

IETF IPP WG:

Please place this document in the Internet-Drafts repository named:

    <draft-ietf-ipp-url-scheme-02.txt> (13 February 2001)

It replaces the previous:

    <draft-ietf-ipp-url-scheme-01.txt> (5 February 2001)

Thanks very much,
- Ira McDonald (IPP WG member, co-editor of IPP URL scheme)
  High North Inc
  imcdonald at sharplabs.com
  imcdonald at crt.xerox.com

   This document is intended for use in registering the "ipp" URL scheme
   with IANA and fully conforms to the requirements in [RFC-2717].  This
   document defines the "ipp" URL (Uniform Resource Locator) scheme for
   specifying the location of an IPP Printer, IPP Job, or other IPP
   object (defined in some future version of IPP) which implements the
   IPP/1.1 Model [RFC-2911] and the IPP/1.1 Protocol encoding over HTTP
   [RFC-2910] or any later version of IPP.  The intended usage of the
   "ipp" URL scheme is COMMON.

   The IPP URL scheme defined in this document is based on the ABNF for
   the HTTP URL scheme defined in HTTP/1.1 [RFC-2616], which is derived
   from the URI Generic Syntax [RFC-2396] and further updated by
   [RFC-2732] and [RFC-2373] (for IPv6 addresses in URLs).  An IPP URL
   is transformed into an HTTP URL according to the rules specified in
   section 5 of the IPP/1.1 Protocol [RFC-2910].