Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Mar 12 19:09:27 EST 2001

Ron and I discussed whether the Media Types should be a separate section in
the same document as the Media Sizes, or put in a separate document.  We
both feel that keeping it a separate document will be simpler and more
modular.  We think that the Media Types are less likely to have additions,
than are Media sizes.  However, either may undergo changes as some other
group needs additions to one or the other.  It will be easier for those
interested in only one of these standards to keep track of changes of it, if
they are separate.

The basis of the agreement on the mailing list seems to be that Media Type
and Media Size are independent concepts.  The best way to keep them
independent is to keep them as separate standards.  Whether some other
protocol wishes to combine the two into a single attribute is the province
of that other protocol standard, and not of either of the Media Type
standard or the Media Size standard.

Also it will be much simpler for other standards to refer to either the
Media Type standard or the Media Size standard as needed.

So are there any strong objections to making the Media Size standard and the
Media Type standard as two separate standards?

(The current Media Size standard would remove the current discussion about
the envelope Media Type in the definitions and would remove the '-envelope'
in the names.  However, for those sizes that were originally defined for a
certain type what that type is, such as the C series is for envelopes and
some of the B series is for both stationery and envelopes, some sizes are
for postcards, etc.)

The Media Type standard would be similar to the Media Size standard but with
the Media Type names, alias, and common names listed.

When we are further along in the drafts, we'll assign them the next two
5100.n values, say 5100.5 and 5100.6, in the IEEE-ISTO PWG series.

Editors of the Media Type and Media Size standards,
Tom and Ron