UPD> Re: IPP> min/max custom size values

Norbert Schade norbertschade at oaktech.com
Fri Mar 30 12:42:00 EST 2001

Mark,
I know where you are coming from.
But in this case I disagree with you.
I think it's the job of the global media spec to provide lists of keywords
for size, type, coating (if media source would be added, I'd be the first to
take it over in UPDF).
Any semantic level, where keywords are combined to information about a
device status, is the task of a communication protocol like IPP (or even a
MIB), a device description like UPDF or a driver.
So I'd expect IPP to tell me that there is a media present with four
attributes 'Letter,Stationary,Glossy,ManualTray' and two other media with
other attribute parameters.
In UPDF we want to provide a chance to declare these four attributes a unit.
And the driver hopefully has some functionality to create an appropriate UI
for that.
This would result in the required behavior of the whole environment.

The two keywords for min/max custom sizes may as well come as attributes of
media sources or duplex settings or any other section within the
communication protocol.
It's only about relying on a certain syntax on keywords.
If the communication protocol or the UPDF use it wrong in their context,
then that's there fault.

Regards
Norbert Schade