don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Mon Apr 2 20:28:52 EDT 2001

I have asked Cindy Tiritilli to go ahead and assign the next number to this
project.  If memory serves, it should be 5100.5.

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Chair, Printer Working Group               *
* Chair, IEEE MSC                            *
*                                            *
* Director, Strategic & Technical Alliances  *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 859-232-4808 (phone) 859-232-6740 (fax)    *

"Hastings, Tom N" <hastings%cp10.es.xerox.com at interlock.lexmark.com> on
04/02/2001 01:07:05 PM

To:   "Bergman, Ron" <Ron.Bergman%Hitachi-hkis.com at interlock.lexmark.com>,
      RonBergman%aol.com at interlock.lexmark.com, "Shivaun Albright (E-mail)"
      <shivaun_albright%hp.com at interlock.lexmark.com>, "Don Wright (E-mail)"
      <"Don_Wright/Lex/Lexmark.LEXMARK"@sweeper.lex.lexmark.com>
cc:   pwg%pwg.org at interlock.lexmark.com, ipp%pwg.org at interlock.lexmark.com (bcc:
      Don Wright/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  RE: IPP> RE: PWG> Media Names Standard, Version D0.5 Available

Ron,

The UPnP IMAGING WG is meeting in Portland OR, the first two days of the PWG
meeting, April 23-24.  I think we agreed at the last UPnP telecon (March
22), to vote at that meeting whether or not to change the UPnP Template to
refer to the PWG Media standard for the MediaType and MediaSize values.  If
we do have such a vote, it would be good to know what the durable URL (PWG
standard number assigned) might be for the PWG standard.

On the other hand, the UPnP Basic Template will be undergoing other votes
and changes, so maybe it isn't so crucial to have the PWG standard number by
the April 23 meeting, but it would help give the UPnP IMAGING WG confidence
that there would be a standard that the UPnP BasicPrint Template could point
to.

Shivaun,
The UPnP minutes didn't reflect such a vote about referring to the PWG
standard for the MediaType and MediaSize values.  In fact the minutes don't
mention MediaType or MediaSize at all.  What did we agree to at the Last
UPnP telecon?  I had thought that we were going to vote on whether or not to
refer to the PWG standard for additional values and use the syntax from the
PWG standard which is slightly different from the current UPnP Template
(scaled units with no decimal fraction, use the "na-" prefix to distinguish
inches from mm, and use "." to separate the size name from the dimensions).
These seem important enough changes to warrant a vote (and an announcement
of intent to vote at least a week before the meeting).

Don and Ron,
A second question is when do we actually assign the number?  It is at the
start of the PWG Last Call, or after it completes the PWG Last Call?  I
thought that it was at the start of the PWG Last Call, in which case we
could put the number on the Media standard next week when we start PWG last
Call.  Right?

I was thinking that for the PWG Last Call (before final approval), the
document would say something like:

When this document is approved by the PWG as a PWG Draft standard following
the procedures in:  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/pwg-process.pdf it
will become available at:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/standards/pwg5100.n.pdf, .doc, .rtf

where "n" is the number that we assign at the start of the PWG Last Call.

Thanks,
Tom