Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Apr 16 16:01:30 EDT 2001

It might be a good addition in order to get agreement on the name for the
device default setting when the client wants (or needs) to explicitly convey
to the device that the client wants the device to use its default setting.
If the user is talking to the driver (on the client) then this value would
also cause the driver NOT to insert any default value of its own (or to find
out from the device or PPD/GPD/UPDF what the devices default value was and
insert that value explicitly).  However, note that in other job submission
protocols, such as IPP, the client merely omits the attribute and the
Printer applies its default value for any omitted attributes.

So if we did add such a 'device-setting' name value, we should add the words
that the use of the 'device-setting' value depends on the protocol and may
not be appropriate for some protocols.  Since the value applies to all
fields in the Media Standardized Names standard, we could also indicate the
'device-setting' value as a RECOMMEND value when it is necessary to indicate
that a default value is to be used.

BTW, 'device-setting' is the value that UPnP uses, since the UPnP protocol
requires that the client send all attributes in every job submission.

Tom