IPP> global media color attribute

Herriot, Robert Robert.Herriot at pahv.xerox.com
Tue Apr 24 15:08:31 EDT 2001

Several months ago, we considered the idea you are proposing and decided not
to accept it because the RGB value is too narrow. That is, there are two
many values that are perceptually identical or nearly so.

We decided that the subjective concept of "yellow" is more useful than an
objective RGB value. We decided that most users would accept
"media-color-FFFF", "media-color-E0E0", "media-color-E0FF" and
"media-color-FFE0" all as yellow media and would be unhappy if their request
for media-color-FFFF" were rejected because "media-color-E0FF" is available
instead.