Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue May 1 13:49:27 EDT 2001

Ron,

A slight variation on your proposal to make the units an explicit field in
order to make the names completely self describing, would be to move it from
being the first field to being last field.  Then it could be displayed by
very simply by (dumb) clients that didn't localize the names and/or
recognize a new name without any processing (or by simply replacing any
underscores with a space):

Examples:  na-letter_8.5-11_in
           iso-a4_210-297_mm

Bill sees the explicit units as redundant, which they certainly are and we
don't want people to think that the following names are synonyms,
respectively:

           na-letter_215.9-279.4_mm

iso-a4_8.2677165354330708661417322834646-11.692913385826771653543307086614_i

On the other hand, this approach of explicitly passing the units in a
separate field does allow us to add other units in the future without
risking any confusion with existing implementations that only know about the
in and mm field values.

Tom