don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Wed May 2 01:18:51 EDT 2001

I continue to support option "b" because

1) I can tell who the authority was that defined the size (if one did) e.g.
asme, iso, jis
2) dimensions are just as easy to programatically determine using that string as
it is with "mm", "in", "tw", "ang" or any other unit
3) The list of standardized names can be expanded should new authority create a
new size
4) dimensions are provided in the measurement system that a human would expect
for each size so parsing and formatting is all that is required.  Conversion is
not.

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Chair, Printer Working Group               *
* Chair, IEEE MSC                            *
* Director, Alliances and Standards          *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd C14/082-3                *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 859-825-4808 (phone) 603-963-8352 (fax)    *

RonBergman%aol.com at interlock.lexmark.com on 05/01/2001 04:53:18 PM