Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed May 2 12:26:14 EDT 2001

Paul,

The reasons to include the dimensions in the Media Name (for UPnP MediaSize
parameter, IPP/1.1 "media" Job Template attribute, ...):

For Printer to client communication:

a. If the client software receives a size name that it doesn't recognize, it
can still deal with it, because the units are there.

b. If the client software receives a size name that it doesn't recognize, it
can still display something meaningful to the user (and the user can see
what the size is).

c. For UPnP (which REQUIRES support for XHTML-Print+xml) and any Printer
that supports XHTML-Print+xml, there doesn't have to be a driver that cares
about the size in the client.  With XHTML-Print+xml, only the human user and
the Printer have to deal with the size, not the client software.  The client
software just passes the token to the Printer that the user selected from
the Printer's supported list (which the client got either by querying the
Printer or from the UPDF/GPD/PPD file for that printer).

d. The Printer can use the same syntax to indicate that it supports a range
of custom sizes, that the client can make up.

For Client to Printer communication:

a. If the Printer receives a size that it doesn't recognize, it can find out
what the dimensions are from the string it gets from the client.  This can
be useful for the Printer that wants to support custom sizes from the client
or that doesn't want to bother the user with configuring the Printer with
supported sizes.

Tom