IPP> global media ... [put units field last]

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu May 3 17:57:28 EDT 2001

Regarding adding units to the "self describing name"... The "advantage"
given in the phone conf analysis is...

1. Allows for the possibility of other units being introduced sometime in
the future

But I thought this was what alarmed people when we separated out the
"class".

I don't have a problem with explicitly calling out the units but I think
we should have stuck with the scheme defined in Portland... which would
look like...

class_ name_dimension_units

Indeed, all classes we are aware of today DO carry one and only one set of
units... so units are redundant. But, if it makes for more clean-cut
implementation... no problem... just stick with the syntax (underscore
separating elements of the self defining entity).