IPP> Canadian Media Sizes

Herriot, Robert Robert.Herriot at pahv.xerox.com
Tue May 15 15:54:04 EDT 2001

I just did some research about paper sizes in Canada. I called Kinkos in
Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver, and a local print shop in Vancouver. I was
told by each that the standard papers were "letter, legal and ledger".
Sometimes the person voluntarily gave the dimensions in English units. Other
times I had to ask for dimensions and was always given the dimensions in
English units.  When I asked for metric sizes, I got comments like "Oooh, I
don't know" or "I'll have to check".  The answer was "216x279mm", which are
the English dimensions rounded up. One person used a ruler and said it was
"22x28cm".  When I ask for A4, I was uniformly told that they don't have it
and its rare in Canada. It is clear that Canada has not converted to metric
for paper size. I have learned in previous visits that they still us English
sizes for drywall and copper pipes.

When I emailed a Canadian who was born after Canada converted to metric, I
got a reply that the paper in the University printer was "216x279mm and in
inches too", but he didn't specify the inch size.

Bob Herriot