Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jul 6 10:14:45 EDT 2001

The 1.1.9 release of the Common UNIX Printing System ("CUPS") is
now available for download from the CUPS web site at:

    http://www.cups.org

CUPS 1.1.9 adds support for AIX, adds several performance
improvements to the scheduler, adds support for the Apache
Include directive, adds new HideImplicitMembers and
ImplicitAnyClasses directives, stores user-defined options as
differences from the system-defined options, adds a
"natural-scaling" option for printing images, and fixes a number
of small bugs.  Binaries for several platforms are available.

CUPS provides a portable printing layer for UNIX(r)-based
operating systems.  It has been developed by Easy Software
Products to promote a standard printing solution for all UNIX
vendors and users.  CUPS provides the System V and Berkeley
command-line interfaces.

CUPS uses the Internet Printing Protocol ("IPP") as the basis
for managing print jobs and queues.  The Line Printer Daemon
("LPD") Server Message Block ("SMB"), and AppSocket (a.k.a.
JetDirect) protocols are also supported with reduced
functionality.  CUPS adds network printer browsing and
PostScript Printer Description ("PPD") based printing options to
support real-world printing under UNIX.

CUPS also includes a customized version of GNU Ghostscript
(currently based off GNU Ghostscript 5.50) and an image file RIP
that are used to support non-PostScript printers.  Sample
drivers for HP and EPSON printers are included that use these
filters.

Drivers for thousands of printers are provided with our ESP
Print Pro software, available at:

	http://www.easysw.com/printpro

CUPS is licensed under the GNU General Public License and GNU
Library General Public License.  Please contact Easy Software
Products for commercial support and "binary distribution"
rights.