Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 12 12:04:52 EDT 2001

In my opinion, ABNF muddies the water. The media list should be
represented in XML.
Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems

"Bergman, Ron" <Ron.Bergman at Hitachi-hkis.com>
Sent by: owner-ipp at pwg.org
07/11/2001 04:42 PM

        To:     "'Hastings, Tom N'" <hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com>, "Bergman, Ron"
<Ron.Bergman at Hitachi-hkis.com>
        cc:     "ipp (E-mail)" <ipp at pwg.org>
        Subject:        RE: IPP> MED - Proposed final ABNF for Media Size Self Describing Names

Tom,

As I said in my last email, I believe that separating the registration
requirements from the media size name ABNF is cleaner.  It is then very
obvious that the class-xx name is restricted to the given names.  Addition
of reg-class-xx-name to the media size names ABNF muddies the water.  When
this is only in a section that describes the requirements for new class
names, everything is clean.  The best way to define that the parser must
be
able to deal with new names is with text, not the ABNF.

I don't see anyone else commenting on this issue.  Does that mean that no
one cares?

                 Ron