Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jul 18 10:28:00 EDT 2001

mjoel at netreon.com wrote:
> MJ>  I've got some real problems with the whole PUSH issue for ippget.
> >From a design perspective it's probably cut and dry, but I'm losing hair
> trying to implement this.  Specifically:
>     a) How am I supposed to handle HTTP's Content-Length?

You almost certainly will have to use the chunked transfer encoding
instead of a fixed Content-Length.

>     b) Won't this only work with HTTP's Keep-Alive?

Yes, but that is the default for HTTP/1.1...

>     c) Can this even work with HTTP 1.0?

Not an issue - IPP requires HTTP/1.1 for conformance.

>     d) How is the client supposed to know when it's done receiving some
> events?  If clients used Content-Length before, now do they have to add a
> timeout?

The client has to look for the IPP end-tag, as each collection of
events will have its own header, etc. (unless I'm misunderstanding
the spec?)

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com