Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Jul 20 17:26:15 EDT 2001

Michael,

You make some good points about having each separate response to a single
Get-Notifications request in Event Wait Mode, be a complete application/ipp
response (from RFC 2911):

- a "version-number",
- a "status-code",
- the "request-id" that was supplied in the corresponding request, and
- the attributes that are REQUIRED for that type of response (Operation
Attributes Group, Unsupported Attributes Group, and Event Notification
Attributes Groups).

We may also want to include a (new) end-of-segment tag (RFC 2910 encoding)
at the end of each response (= a multi-part/related part) but the last which
would end with 'end-of-attributes' tag.

Then the IPP application layer would also know when to start processing
events.  Imagine if we also want to convey IPP with a different transport
layer, say, XML.  So we would also want an in-band tag to indicate that all
the current events are present.

BTW, I was able to update the draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-04.txt draft in time
to make the Internet-Drafts cutoff by 5 minutes today.  They replied with 4
minutes to go to the 5:00 PM EDT deadline.  I included the
multi-part/related, but not repeating the initial stuff each time.

We definitely need more work on this and need to include an example
encoding, complete with multi-part/related headers to make sure we
understand how this works.

Since the IPP FAX WG has agreed that IPPGET is the REQUIRED Delivery Method
for IPPFAX, perhaps they can continue the discussion in Toronto, August 1,
though we definitely should continue on the mailing list as we are as well.

This document is definitely not ready for WG last call quite yet.

Thanks,
Tom