Hugo Parra HPARRA at novell.com
Mon Jul 23 11:46:07 EDT 2001

Ira wrote ...

> Why not copy the advertised SLP scope names (which are generally
> geographic and/or organizational in realistic use cases) into
> a concatenated single string (say with hyphens between) and use
> that value for an 'ou=' (Organizational Unit) LDAP attribute,
> to place the advertised service (e.g., a printer) into the
> organizational subtree of the enterprise network (as opposed
> to the user subtree, where the LDAP Printer aux class is useful)?

I might be showing my ignorance here, but I'd expect most 'ou' names to be hierarchical (e.g., "ou=dev.provo.novell").  Can SLP scope names be hierarchical as well (i.e., is there a character set aside to denotate hirerarchical levels)?  Notice that something like "scope=dev" would not be sufficient and "scope=dev-provo-novell" might not provide a reliable mapping either as the hyphen is commonly use in the naming of objects.  Thus, does "scope=bldg-h-provo-novell" translate into "ou=bldg-h.provo.novell" or "ou=bldg.h.provo.novell"?

-Hugo