IPP> Re: IFX> ippget and Lost Events

Marty Joel mjoel at netreon.com
Wed Aug 15 01:09:14 EDT 2001

Hi Carl,

You're right, I certainly haven't solved the
backhoe-through-the-network-cable scenario.  While there isn't a good way
to handle an indefinite time until the cable is fixed, perhaps I can
suggest a reasonable solution.

Maybe there should be 3 time values: 1) how often polling should be done to
be a good network citizen (such as 15 seconds), 2) the minimum number of
seconds that must pass before an event can be deleted (such as 3 minutes,
to allow clients to listen in on existing subscriptions without losing
events), and 3) the maximum number of seconds before an event is deleted
(such as an hour).

On a low-end implementation, the 2nd and 3rd numbers might be the same.

On a high-end implementation, however, it could keep track of the listeners
of each subscription, and if the 2nd number of seconds has elapsed and all
listeners have received an event, the event can be deleted, instead of
lasting until the 3rd number of seconds has elapsed.  Maybe there should be
a 4th number: the number of seconds since last polling before a listener is
assumed to be dead, and no longer listening.  Since a polling listener
won't inform the receiver that it's going to stop polling for events, when
a listener stops polling, this 4th number prevents all events from all
subscriptions that a listener had previously polled from having to last the
3rd number of seconds.  If we decide on this type of solution, we'll have
to figure out how listeners are uniquely identified, since
requesting-user-name is optional.

Regards,

Marty

"Carl Kugler" <kugler at us.ibm.com>@pwg.org on 08/14/2001 10:18:21 AM