Dennis Carney dcarney at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 10 11:54:05 EDT 2002

Tom,

I see a way in which your comments added a new wrinkle, although I may be
mistaken.  I didn't get the impression in the previous messages that we
were discussing mandating that a *client* support IPPGET if it supports any
notification mechanisms--I read Carl's "notification implementations" as
discussing IPP servers only.

What does it mean that a client "support" a mandatory notification
mechanism?  If the client has no interest in actually using that mechanism,
it doesn't make sense to force the client to implement it anyway, then just
not use it.  Am I missing something?

Dennis Carney
IBM Printing Systems

                      "Hastings, Tom N"
                      <hastings at cp10.es        To:       Carl <carl at manros.com>
                      .xerox.com>              cc:       ipp at pwg.org
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: IPP> RE: Mandatory Delivery Method for Notifications - Commen       ts by April 15
                      owner-ipp at pwg.org

                      04/09/02 07:32 PM

Carl-Uno,

I support the proposal to REQUIRE a Notification Delivery Method so that
interoperability between a conforming client and a conforming Printer is
enhanced for Notifications.

I also support the proposal to make IPPGET be that REQUIRED Delivery Method
by changing the IPP Notifications and Subscriptions document (which is an
OPTIONAL IPP extension document) in the following ways:

1. REQUIRE that a Printer support the IPPGET Delivery Method, if the
Printer
supports IPP Notifications.

2. REQUIRE that a client support the IPPGET Delivery Method, if it supports
IPP Notifications.

3. RFC 2910 already RECOMMENDs that a Printer support TLS, so saying the
same thing in the Notifications and Subscriptions document would be
redundant, but we could still do that.

Compared to our other two Delivery Methods (MAILTO and INDP), the IPPGET
Delivery Method has the following advantages:

a. it is the easiest Delivery Method to support
b. it is in-band so it doesn't create any additional firewall problems
c. it is also useful for LAN job submission (with no firewall)
d. it doesn't create any more administrative problems
e. it is REQUIRED for IPPFAX conformance.
f. and doesn't have any SPAM problems (since the job submitter is polling
and/or keeping a channel open for notification events).

The IPPGET spec also should be changed:

4. We should also change the IPPGET spec itself from its current
"RECOMMENDED" to "REQUIRED" as a Delivery Method for an IPP Printer to
support.

Tom