Carl carl at manros.com
Tue Apr 16 02:10:09 EDT 2002

Dennis,

The whole idea about about IETF communication standards is to make
interoperable implementations from a number of different vendors.

To achieve interoperability you need to have something that is common among
several implementations or you have no interoperability. You can implement
additional optional stuff if you think that your customers have great
interest in the options.

BTW, nobody is twisting your arm if you happen to launch a product that
isn't fully compatible with the standards, as long as you are not making
such claims if they are not true. An common example is the implementation of
HTTP. To my knowledge there is still no browser implementation that is fully
conformant with the IETF HTTP spec, although Godzilla and Opera is getting
close. Browser vendors instead have kept on adding private extensions rather
than aiming for full alignment with the standard or claiming conformance
with it. Not that I am recommending this behavious for IPP, but that is part
of the real world out there.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
10701 S Eastern Ave #1117