McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Nov 6 17:57:57 EST 2002

Hi Harry,

As of my note yesterday to Bob Taylor (HP), I've _abandoned_ my idea for the
PWG standard MIME parameters.  A few Printer MIB-derived text parameters are
feasible (although line length may well become a problem in some
cut-and-paste
interfaces).  But _none_ of the interoperable machine-readable parameters
that
HP and others have asked for are practical.

I believe we should leave unchanged the simple (unornamented) MIME types
currently deployed in IPP/1.x implementations.

For the PWG SM and PWG PSI interfaces, we should define an XML structured
element (such as the suggested "document-type") with as many new details
as we need.

For the IPP binding, we need to figure out the best solution.  I vastly
prefer an IPP Resource-based solution, but we _could_ kludge these in
with something like "document-type-col" (a collection).

Adding a new ordered IPP Printer attribute that is directly parallel
to the "document-format-supported" is possible, but a TERRIBLE idea.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc

PS - I copied PSI and IPP lists on this reply to make sure others see my
answer to your question promptly.