Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jul 17 18:30:10 EDT 2006

McDonald, Ira wrote:
> Hi folks,                                          Monday (17 July 2006)
>
> I've just posted the first draft of the PWG IPP Printer State Reasons
> Extensions specification on the PWG FTP server at:
>
>     ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippstate10-20060717.htm
>
> This draft is technically complete (to the best of my ability) except
> for the summary conformance sections (individual sections already have
> detailed conformance requirements).

> and discussion at an IPP WG Telecon as soon as possible.

WRT section 5.1.1, CUPS implements the severity suffixes as required
by RFC 2911.  I don't think we can just do away with them, but
defining a mapping from keyword-suffix to keyword would have the
equivalent effect without requiring an update of RFC 2911...  Also,
I know I get "media-tray-empty-error" and other messages from HP
printers via IPP, so we're not the only company implementing it...

Also, overloading printer-state-message with non-localized alert
object data is, IMHO, the wrong approach.  Define a printer-alert
1setOf collection that contains all of the prtAlert* objects.  CUPS
uses printer-state-message to hold the human-readable state message
(as defined by RFC 2911), and it would be impossible for CUPS to
conform to this spec if you use printer-state-message for this
purpose.