McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Nov 7 21:51:37 EST 2006

Hi,

Reminder our next IPP WG telecon will be this Thursday.

Proposed agenda:

(1) Review minutes from last meeting (PWG Lexington)

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ipp_psx-061027.pdf

(2) Review major revision of IPP PSX specification posted on
    Tuesday 7 November (see release note/change log below)

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippstate10-20061107.htm
      (w/ live TOC links)
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippstate10-20061107.pdf
      (static PDF w/out live TOC links)

(3) Next steps and action items

  Thursday 7 November 11am EDT
  Dial In: 1-866-365-4406
  Toll #: 1-303-248-9655
  Passcode: 2635888#

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com

Hi folks,                                      Tuesday (7 November 2006)

I've just posted a fourth draft of the PWG IPP Printer State Extensions
(PSX) specification on the PWG FTP server at:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippstate10-20061107.htm
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippstate10-20061107.pdf

This draft is a major update to fix issues identified during our review
at the PWG Lexington face-to-face (27 October 2006).

This draft changes strategy from finishing alerts as a subset of subunit
alerts to the complete set for every finishing subunit (several hundred
more values).  This draft also greatly clarifies the processing to map a
localized value of 'prtAlertDescription' to a corresponding value of
"printer-alert-description".

our next IPP WG Telecon on Thursday 9 November 11am EDT.

[Change Log]

7 November 2006 (v0.40)
- Changed document status from 'Interim' to 'Prototype', per PWG
  Process/2.0;
- Revised section 5.1.1 'Severity Suffixes Interoperability' for
  clarity;
- Revised Table 1 in section 5.1.2 'Existing Printer State Reasons for
  Alert Codes' to DEPRECATE all non-specific legacy one-way mappings,
  per review at PWG face-to-face in Lexington (27 October 2006);
- Revised Table 2 in section 5.1.3 'New Printer State Reasons for
  Alert Codes' to DELETE all non-specific legacy one-way mappings,
  per review at PWG face-to-face in Lexington (27 October 2006);
- Revised Table 3 in section 5.2.1 'Keywords for Alert Objects'
  conformance levels, to align with bindings of 'printerV2Alert' in
  Printer MIB, section 9 of IPP Event Notifications and Subcriptions
  [RFC3995], and WIMS-CIM work-in-progress mapping of Printer MIB,
  per review at PWG face-to-face in Lexington (27 October 2006);
- Revised section 5.2.2. 'Printer Alert Encoding of Alert Objects'
  to specify explicit charset [US-ASCII], reference specific objects in
  'prtAlertTable', and clarify mapping details in ABNF expressions;
- Revised section 5.3.1 'Printer Alert Description Encoding' to specify
  REQUIRED copy of natural language tag and REQUIRED charset conversion
  to the value of "charset-configured" (i.e., current site policy)
- Revised section 6.1.1 'New Alert Codes for Finishing Subunits' to
  define complete set based on subunit generic alerts for every device,
  per review at PWG face-to-face in Lexington (27 October 2006);
- Added new section 6.1.2 'Conventions for Alert Code Numbering' to
  explain conventions from Printer MIB and extensions in this document,
  per review at PWG face-to-face in Lexington (27 October 2006);
- Revised section 7 'Conformance Requirements' to add explicit lists of
  of detailed conformance sections in this specification,
  per review at PWG face-to-face in Lexington (27 October 2006);
- Added new section 8.2 'IPP Printer Attributes - IANA Registrations'
  to register "printer-alert" and "printer-alert-description" with IANA;
- Revised section 9 'Internationalization Considerations' to reflect new
  "printer-alert" and "printer-alert-description" attributes.
- Revised section 10 'Security Considerations' to add details.
- Added new section 15.6 'Printer Alert Subset for Finishing Subunits'
  to explain changed strategy to complete set of specific alerts.