Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 14:56:41 EDT 2008

Hi Michael

************************************
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Michael R Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

<snip>

    Conclusions:

    (1) We really should DEPRECATE Restart-Job
        in IPP/2.x Profiles and explain the rationale.

Given that there is no other way to retry a failed print job,
I would be against complete deprecation but OK with
clarification or partial deprecation (i.e. OK to restart a
canceled, stopped, or aborted job, not OK to restart a
completed job...)

<ira> Good point - I like keeping this operation ONLY
for use on unsuccessful jobs - but I think still OPTIONAL
in 2.1 (Enterprise), because of your stored resources
reasoning (below).
</ira>

    (2) Reprocess-Job is technically OK, but costly.
        Should remain OPTIONAL, even for IPP/2.2
        (Production Printing).

I would argue that production printing already requires large
resources to support things like document objects and the tight
integration with the print device, so Reprocess-Job should be
REQUIRED for IPP/2.2 and OPTIONAL for IPP/2.0 and IPP/2.1.

<ira> I agree. </ira>

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter: