Dave Whitehead david at lexmark.com
Thu Jul 31 13:29:43 EDT 2008

I think option 1 may be the way to proceed (if that's what we want to do!)
since it would then be just another document we reference in the IPPv2x
document.

dhw

             "Ira McDonald"
             <blueroofmusic at gm
             ail.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  "Michael R Sweet"
             owner-ipp at pwg.org         <msweet at apple.com>, "Ira McDonald"
                                       <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>
                                                                        cc
             07/31/2008 01:15          "Farrell, Lee"
             PM                        <Lee.Farrell at cda.canon.com>,
                                       ptykodi at tykodi.com, ipp at pwg.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: IPP> RFC: Add required
                                       document-format values for IPP v2?

Hi,

I sympathize with Mike Sweet's point and Dave Whitehead's comments.
However:

(1) The IPP WG can charter a new project (e.g., "IPP Required Document
      Formats") for a new PWG standards-track spec anytime

(2) If the IPPv2 project adds ANY new content, then our whole schedule will
     fall apart completely, because we'll have to show actual prototyping
     before
     taking the IPPv2 spec to Formal Vote

(3) The PWG Steering Committee remembers all too well the structural error
      in the Abstract Counters (PWG 5106.1) and Counter MIB (PWG 5106.3)
      - waving PWG Process and adopting untested new IPP content is NOT
      going to happen

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Michael R Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> Farrell, Lee wrote:
>>
>> Before we get too far afield with this discussion topic, let me remind
>> everyone of the recently approved update to the IPPv2 Statement of Work
>> in which the following is identified:
>>
>> Out-of-scope:
>> *       OSS-1  New IPP functionality or features  MUST NOT be included
>> in this IPP/2.x specification.
>> *       OSS-2  Details of IPP commands, attributes, or other features
>> MUST NOT be included in this IPP/2.x specification, except as needed
>> (e.g., references to attributes REQUIRED by newly REQUIRED operations.
>>

>> I think defining a mandatory document format would qualify as a "New IPP
>> functionality".
>
> While I agree that it is out-of-scope for the current SOW, I'd also
> propose that we change the SOW.
>
> Right now we are putting together a wonderful combination of the
> IPP/1.1 specs to make new "unified" 2.x specs, but the main problem
> is that either vendors will ignore 2.x (why add media standardized
> names when we only support our proprietary PDL with no overrides)
> or have already implemented everything needed for 2.x.  IPP will
> remain only as an "LPD replacement" and be no more useful than LPD.
>
> However, if we tackle adding required document formats, then we
> have effectively "raised the bar" to make IPP something more
> compelling.  More importantly, it will be something marketable,
> both in the home/small office and corporate spaces.
>
> Multi-function devices already outsell regular printers by a
> significant margin, and most come with support for direct-connect
> printing from embedded devices (cameras, phones, etc.) via
> PictBridge.  There is no equivalent for networked printers, and
> since smart phones and other embedded devices are in wide use it
> would be nice to support printing from them...
>
>> lee

This

>> Engineer
>>

>> --
>> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer
>

> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
 579 Park Place Saline, MI 48176