[IPP] Re: IPP URL scheme

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 17:22:48 UTC 2009

Hi Nancy,

[copying the IPP list because this yours are good questions]

No - IPP/1.0 (RFC 2566) does NOT define or support "ipp:"
URI scheme - that's why the IESG put a very strong note of
disapproval on the cover page and forced IPP/1.0 to be IETF
Experimental and not IETF Standards Track.

IPP/1.0  (which uses only overloaded "http:" URI scheme) is
IETF Obsolete and should not be implemented (it's a major
security leak - because it typically uses port 80).

----------------------

Unfortunately IPP/1.1 (RFC 2911) only *names* the "ipp:" URI
scheme, but does NOT define it at all (even in RFC 2910).

The "ipp:" URI scheme was finally defined (with ABNF) and
registered with IANA 3 years later in RFC 3510 (I wrote this
one with help from Bob Herriot).

------------------------

YES - the "ipp:" URI scheme supports the simple form:

  ipp://IPaddress

See section 4.5. IPP URL Scheme Syntax on page 5 of
RFC 3510.

BUT in section 4.6. IPP URL Examples on page 6 it warns:

     "Note:  Literal IPv4 or IPv6 addresses SHOULD NOT be used in IPP URLs."

That was at the specific direction of the IESG - literal IP
addresses don't pass through any of the security checks
of a dereferenced DNS name (valid local domain, etc.)
and they are fragile in a DHCP-based environment.

-----------------------

NOTE:  When we revise IPP/2.0 next year to add new version 2.2,
I plan to add normative text which says that ONLY the "ipp:" URI
scheme MUST be used for Printer or Job URI values (for version
2.0 and higher).

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:13 PM,  <Nancy.Chen at okidata.com> wrote:

> Hi Ira, Tom, and Pete,
>
> I am wondering whether you still remember the URI scheme supported by IPP
> 1.0.  Does it support this format:
>
> ipp://IPaddress ?
>
> Does IPP1.1 require to support this format?
>
> -Nancy

believed to be clean.