{Disarmed} Re: [IPP] Descriptions of CUPS additions to the Cancel-Job and Purge-Jobs operations

Tom Hastings tom.hastings at verizon.net
Sun Oct 4 01:09:00 UTC 2009

Good discussion.

If Michael is willing to update CUPS (to support the old and something new),
another new alternative would be to add the following Operation attribute to
Cancel-Jobs:

 "all-my-jobs" (boolean) with default 'false' to the Cancel-Jobs operation

instead of adding "cancel-jobs" (boolean) with default 'false' to the
Purge-Jobs operation.  Then we wouldn't have an operation attribute
("cancel-jobs") which changes an one operation (Purge-Jobs) into another
operation (Cancel-Jobs).

A variant on my alternative above which would allow the
Operator/Administrator to be able to cancel all jobs (as is possible with
current CUPS, but uses Purge-Jobs) is to add the following Operation
attribute to the Cancel-Jobs operation:

"which-jobs" (type2 keyword) with values:

'specified-job' - (default) the job specified by the supplied "job-id" or
"job-url"

'all-my-jobs' - cancel all my jobs

'all-jobs' - cancel all jobs;  If the Printer's security policy does not
allow the authenticated user to cancel jobs for which the requesting user is
not the owner, then the IPP object MUST reject the operation and return
client-error-not-authorized

Following the thrust of the above alternatives which avoid having an
operation attribute change the semantics of the operation to that of another
operation, how about also adding "job-id" (integer(1:MAX)) and "job-url"
(URL) to the Purge-Jobs operation.  If either are supplied, then the
specified job is purged, rather than all jobs.  If the requesting user is
NOT an Operator/Administrator AND the specified job is NOT owned by the
requesting user, then the IPP object MUST reject the operation and return
client-error-not-authorized.

Think about these alternative for the discussion at the IPP WG telecon, this
Monday, October 5, 1:00 PM PDT = 4:00 PM EDT.

In the meantime, I'll post the original CUPS approach rather than making
some of these discussed changes.

Thanks,

Tom

  _____