[IPP] Updated (new) Cancel-Jobs, enhanced Get-Jobs and Purge-Jobs uploaded - some issues needing resolution Thursday

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Oct 8 18:46:39 UTC 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Ira McDonald wrote:
>> ISSUE: OK that the Printer MUST ignore “jobs-ids” if “my-jobs” =
>> ‘true’ is
>> supplied, rather than reject the request and return the
>> ‘client-error-bad-request” status?
>>

> <ira> Yes, OK - a legacy Printer wouldn't understand "job-ids" (in
> Get-Jobs)
> and would ignore it, so the above is the right behavior.
> </ira>

I don't like doing this without some indication there is a problem.
Returning client-error-conflicting-attributes is an alternate way to
go without saying "bad request", or if we want to allow this (and
ignore job-ids) then we should return successful-ok-ignored-or-
substituted-attributes with job-ids in the unsupported group of the
response.

Moreover, Cancel-Jobs is a NEW operation, so we should do it right.

>> ISSUE: OK that the Printer MUST reject a request that does NOT
>> specify a
>> list of jobs and does NOT specify “my-jobs” = ‘true’?  What if the
>> requesting user is the operator?  Should this case cancel all jobs?
>>
>> In other words, is it OK that the Cancel-Jobs operation does not
>> allow the
>> Operator to cancel all jobs?
>>

> <ira> Cancel-Jobs is NEW, so we can make it solid.  Missing required
> operation attributes must be a client error - it's NOT desirable that
> Cancel-Jobs be able to cancel *all* jobs.
> </ira>

Huh?  We *want* a way for an administrator to cancel all jobs without
purging the job history.  Otherwise there is no way to atomically
cancel all jobs on a printer...

>> ISSUE: OK that the Printer cancels the ones owned, but not the ones
>> not
>> owned?  Then the Printer can repeatedly perform Cancel-Job
>> operations on
>> each job in the list, rather than checking the entire list before
>> canceling
>> any
>>

> <ira> No, bad choice.  The Printer MUST immediately check that all
> members
> of "job-ids" are owned by the end user (if not operator or admin
> requester),
> so that it returns a privilege error and does NOT cancel ANY jobs.
> </ira>

Right, we agree here...

>> ISSUES for the Get-Jobs enhancement:
>>

>> ISSUE: OK that the Printer MUST ignore “jobs-ids” if “my-jobs” =
>> ‘true’ is
>> supplied, rather than reject the request and return the
>> ‘client-error-bad-request” status?
>>

> <ira> Yes, OK - this is compatibile with legacy Printers that don't
> understand
> (and must ignore) "job-ids".
> </ira>

Same issue here as for Cancel-Jobs, but I am OK returning successful-
ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes since this is an existing
operation.

believed to be clean.