[IPP] v0.8 of the two new operations: Cancel-Jobs and Resubmit-Job posted with their 16 red ISSUES

Tom Hastings tom.hastings at verizon.net
Fri Oct 9 20:14:10 UTC 2009

For those interested in the two new operations proposed in v0.8 of the draft
Standard for

Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): Production Printing Attributes - Set 2
that I posted earlier today, I've extracted Section 4 with the red ISSUE
comments:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Cancel-Jobs-and-Resubmit-Job-spec-v8-200910
08.pdf

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Cancel-Jobs-and-Resubmit-Job-spec-v8-200910
08.doc

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Cancel-Jobs-and-Resubmit-Job-spec-v8-200910
08-rev.pdf

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Cancel-Jobs-and-Resubmit-Job-spec-v8-200910
08-rev.doc

There are 16 red ISSUE comments, most of which we resolved via the email
discussion between Michael, Ira, and myself, but I left in as red, in the
form of "ISSUE: Ok that .", so that we can have a wider review at the face
to face.

Here are the 16 red ISSUES.  You may need to read the text that they refer
to in order to completely understand them:

ISSUE 1:  Does the new Cancel-Jobs operations written in full look OK?  The
change tracked version shows the changes from Cancel-Job.

ISSUE 2: OK that the new Cancel-Jobs operation lets the operator cancel all
jobs?

ISSUE 3:  Is this conformance statement correct to reflect the agreement on
10/5/2009 that Cancel-Jobs is REQUIRED?

ISSUE 4: OK that the Printer MUST reject the entire Cancel-Jobs operation if
any of the specified jobs can't be canceled, rather than canceling the ones
that can be canceled and skipping the ones that can't?

ISSUE 5: What if there are also jobs that fail the job status check.  Does
the Printer have to return those error "job-id" values too?

ISSUE 6: OK that the Printer MUST return the error "job-ids" even if the
client did NOT supply the "job-ids" attribute (independent of whether the
client supplied "my-jobs" with 'true', 'false' or not at all)?

See discussion of issue 6 below.

ISSUE 7: OK that we don't define a "job-uri" operation attribute?

ISSUE 8: OK that the Printer skips over any of the jobs that can't be
canceled according to Table 2?  Otherwise, the operator can't use
Cancel-Jobs, if there are any 'completed' jobs around.

ISSUE 9: OK that the Printer skips over any of the user's jobs that can't be
canceled according to Table 2, rather than rejecting the job?   Otherwise,
the user can't use Cancel-Jobs, if there are any of his 'completed' jobs
around.

ISSUE 10: OK that the Printer MUST return the
'client-error-conflicting-attributes' status code which requires that the
two conflicting attributes ("job-ids" and "my-jobs" be returned in the
Unsupported Attributes Group, rather than the simpler
"client-error-bad-request"?

ISSUE 11:  Does the new Resubmit-Job operations written in full look OK?
The change tracked version shows the changes from Restart-Job defined in
[RFC2911]

ISSUE 12:  Is this conformance statement correct to reflect the agreement on
10/5/2009 that Resubmit-Jobs is REQUIRED?

ISSUE 13:  Is this conformance statement correct to reflect the agreement on
10/5/2009 that Resubmit-Jobs is REQUIRED?

IPP WG agreed on 10/5/2009:  Looks OK.  I moved this paragraph from section
3.3.1.2 Reprinting using the Resubmit-Job operation to the formal
specification here.

ISSUE 14:  Is this description sufficient?

ISSUE 15: OK that we don't define a "job-uri" operation attribute?

ISSUE 16: OK that the Resubmit-Job operation doesn't discuss the
"job-hold-until" operation attribute, even though the Restart-Job operation
did?

Email replies on any of the issues are welcome or save them for the face to
face.

I have not made any changes from the v0.8 of the entire document that I
posted earlier today, just to keep the number of versions to a minimum for
our face to face next Wednesday.  So I left in ISSUE [th6]:

ISSUE 6: OK that the Printer MUST return the error "job-ids" even if the
client did NOT supply the "job-ids" attribute (independent of whether the
client supplied "my-jobs" with 'true', 'false' or not at all)?

We can change it at the face to face meeting, since Ira and Michael both
suggest that the Printer NOT return any "job-ids" in error, if the client
had not supplied any "job-ids" in the request.

Tom

Here are Ira's and Michael's notes on issue 6.