[IPP] Re: Interim draft of IPP Everywhere Project Charter (2 March 2010)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:21:27 UTC 2010

Hi Mike,

If you really think that we're going to need not just a subset of
an existing raster format, but actually to (re)define a raster
format, then we're going to have to add a 3rd spec.

Because the SC will want a separate document, because the
PWG prototyping requirements for document formats are much
higher - i.e., a full coverage implementation, example files, and
details.

Both PWG PDF/is and PWG XHTML-Print went through this
more stringent process.

For PDF/is, the principal editor Rick Seeler (Adobe) just
implemented every feature as the design firmed up in his
sample documents and demonstrated correct behavior with
Acrobat Reader and another application - he also formally
collaborated with the PDF/A folks about the nuts and bolts.

A raster format is much simpler than PDF but if we bury it in
the one standards-track IPP EW spec, then that whole spec
will be held up in Prototype status by the more stringent
process - not desirable.

I suggest, if CUPS Raster is the starting point then Apple
and CUPS team revise the CUPS Raster format officially
(with a named variant?) to cover the IPP Everywhere
mobile requirements and then let the PWG IPP EW just
reference that revised format.

The new raster format could still be done *with* the PWG,
 it's just not ideal *in* the PWG (which has put the "don't
develop any new document formats" in most every project
charter for a decade).

Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Ira McDonald wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Based on Mike Sweet's comments, I have just posted an Interim
>> draft of the IPP Everywhere Project Charter at:
>>
>>  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippeverywhere-charter-20100302.pdf / doc
>>  - clean copy with line numbers
>>
>>  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippeverywhere-charter-20100302-rev.pdf
>> /doc
>>  - redline copy with line numbers
>>
>> Please send comments ASAP and before next IPP WG meeting on 15 March.
>

> I still think we need to remove OSS-2 and add an objective to identify and/or (re)define a raster format.

believed to be clean.