[IPP] Re: Interim draft of IPP Everywhere Project Charter (2 March 2010)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 18:20:01 UTC 2010

Hi Bill,

Agreed - I'll rewrite it as an Objective per your suggestions.

But I'll note, that if we do decide we need a new document
format (new protocols are out-of-scope entirely in IPP EW),
we'll have to revise and re-approve the charter.

Working Group charters have open-ended continuing update
activities.  But Project charters have always had to enumerate
and give a proposed schedule for every deliverable spec.

For example, we had to revise IPPv2 Charter to allow Tom
to finish the spec that's now known as JPS2.

Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:12 PM, William Wagner <wamwagner at comcast.net> wrote:
> Considering that, as stated in the PWG Process document, the requirements
> are established after the Charter is approved, the Charter perhaps should
> not be so specific. Since requirements have not yet been considered by the
> group in general, it would seem premature to say whether or not a new
> protocol may be considered or how many documents must be generated.
>
> I would observe that I see nothing in the Problem Statement that clearly
> predicates either the OSS or OBJ statements. Indeed, this Charter appears to
> suggest that the solution has already been decided upon, which may indeed be
> the case. Considering that the problem statement is real and should be
> addressed for the benefit of the industry as well as the users, presupposing
> the solution seems inappropriate.
>
> At any rate, I suggest dropping OSS-2 and, if desired, making the "use of
> existing data formats, protocols and bindings" an objective. (I regard
> objectives as more amenable to reconsideration as a solution to the problem
> is considered than out-of-scope statements.) I would not suggest adding
> "(re)design of a raster format" as an objective, although "defining a
> solution appropriate to a broad range of print capable devices from low end
> ink-jets to enterprise MFDs" (or whatever) might be an appropriate objective
> that follows from the problem statement.
>
> Bill Wagner

believed to be clean.