[IPP] MORE REVISED: IPP Agenda - 4pm EDT Monday 10 May 2010

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon May 10 17:05:26 UTC 2010

On May 10, 2010, at 9:50 AM, George Liu wrote:
> A suggestion to IPPv2.
>
> Instead of defining IPP 2.0/2.1/2.0, have the working group considered
> adding a IPP operation like "KnownMessages", which returns the list of
> operations a printer supports (delete/hold/etc)

George,

IPP already has an operations-supported attribute that lists the supported operations for a device. Similarly, there are other *-supported attributes that provide details for specific features of those operations and for supported job template attribute values.

The reason we have the 2.0/2.1/2.2 split is to make it easier for a vendor to describe/market what kinds of features a printer or print server supports.  Most printers currently fall into the IPP/2.0 category which provides basic printing support using arbitrary document data, but nothing prevents a vendor from implementing one or more extensions beyond IPP/2.0 including things like supporting standard document formats, job template attributes, etc.  The existing IPP infrastructure allows a client to determine exactly what attributes and operations are supported.

> George

believed to be clean.