[IPP] Initial draft of IPPS URI Scheme (25 August 2010)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 15:20:56 UTC 2010

Hi Pete,

Given RFC 2911 and RFC 3510 examples, I'd say that
2 or more printer-uri-supported values can legally differ
only by the URI scheme - I've seen printers that list both
"http:" (for IPP/1.0 compatibility) and "ipp:" (for IPP/1.1)
to the same target.

I think it's *unwise*.

But I don't think we can actually prohibit using both "ipp:"
(unsecured) and "ipps:" (TLS always) for the same IPP
Printer.

I do think we should RECOMMEND against the practice,
because it supplies ambiguous security to the IPP Printer
object.

I've urged all of my printer vendor clients to NOT allow
both unauthenticated (guest) and authenticated (with at
least HTTP Basic/Digest) access to the same instance
of IPP Printer object, because denial-of-service attacks
become much easier in this case.

All - your opinions?

Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Zehler, Peter <Peter.Zehler at xerox.com>wrote:

> Is it legal for two or more printer-uri-supported to differ only in the
> URI scheme?
>

> Peter Zehler
>
> Xerox Research Center Webster
> Email: Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com