[IPP] Another question on IPP/CUPS/PWG Raster

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Fri Mar 25 16:08:26 UTC 2011

Mike

During a discussion yesterday, I was asked "Does the IPP Raster stream
data differently for printer with different feed directions?".  The
width and height definition did not clarify the issue.   Assuming the
feed-direction is provided in the PPD (or some other similar document);
then, does the IPP raster data get "streamed-in" in the feed direction?
If not, can a note be added to the width/height definition? Since data
part is compressed first "within a line" and then compress "by lines";
the feed direction represents compressed "by lines" and the print (head)
direction is represented by the "within a line".  So I would proposed
that

Width  = compression "within a line"  = (head) print direction

Height = compression "by lines"        = feed direction

This is not related to Portrait / Landscape but the physical feed
direction of the printer.

If the PPD file does not state the feed direction; then the default
would be short direction equals width which equals the compression
"within a line"

Glen

believed to be clean.