[IPP] (PWG) Raster Question on what is required

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Apr 28 17:26:38 UTC 2011

On Apr 28, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Petrie, Glen wrote:
> libtiff (the most widely-used TIFF library) supports 16-bits per color.
>
> I must be looking at the wrong version because TIFF 6.0 shows only <8,8,8> http://www.libtiff.org/support.html

Hmm, they must have removed 16-bit support at one point - back when I was doing print software for SGI workstations the "Sam Leffler" version of libtiff supported it...

> I think for interoperability we want a minimum set for interoperability (and to address the use cases/design requirements). But most values of color space and bit depth should be optional.
>
> Ok, then from your color-spaces, the required bits-per-color would 1 and 8.  Also, the required bits-per-pixel would be 1, 8, 24

Right.

> One more time.  Does conformance to pwg-raster-back-side mean “the printer will perform the indicated transforms” or this is an identifier stating what the “state” of the back-side image is?

Conformance for a printer means that it will advertise what it needs. For a client it means the client will transform the back side images as indicated by the printer.

believed to be clean.