[IPP] Use of unknown and no-value attribute value tags

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 22:44:31 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

"unknown" is used 39 places in PwgWellKnownValues.xsd
in three spellings - unknown, Unknown, and UNKNOWN
- oof! - needs work here...

In PWG SM, SystemGeoLocation is of datatype "xs:anyURI"
with a reference to RFC 5870 ('geo' URI Scheme).  "unknown"
is an obviously illegal value, while the empty string can be and
is construed as "unknown" in MFD Model [PWG5108.01].

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Ira,
>
> Semantically-speaking "unknown" and "no-value" do mean different things:
>
>     unknown: There is a value but we don't know what it is.
>     no-value: We know there is no value.
>
> Clearly every printer has a geographic location (and thus a value exists),
> however the value of that location may not be known because nobody has
> entered one and/or the printer has no way to get its location automatically.
>  While we certainly could use "no-value" for printer-geo-location and treat
> it as "no value set", I like using a more specific tag if one exists.
>
> That said, I wonder - how does the Semantic Model map "unknown" to the XML
> schema?
> (or does it?)  If there isn't a mapping of unknown then I would suggest we
> formally deprecate the "unknown" value tag and use "no-value" for
> printer-geo-location as you suggest - it hasn't been used widely (or at all
> as far as I can see) and I don't want to depend on something that can't be
> mapped to another protocol binding.
>

> On Sep 15, 2011, at 3:05 PM, Ira McDonald wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> I like all of it, except that in printer-geo-location we should
> get rid of that MIB-centric "unknown" and instead use the
> semantically equivalent "no-value".
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
> Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
> Christmas through April:
>   579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
>   734-944-0094
> May to Christmas:
>   PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
>   906-494-2434
>

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I've received a few queries about how the "unknown" and "no-value"
>> attribute value tags are used in IPP recently.  What I've been telling
>> people is basically the following, but I'd like to document this somewhere,
>> perhaps as an errata for one of the IPP RFCs (probably RFC 2911 and 3380)
>> along with some updates to the IPP registry for the affected attributes.
>>
>> Comments?
>>

>> The "no-value" Attribute Value Tag
>>
>> This value may be set or returned for any settable Job, Subscription, or
>> Printer attribute. The typical usage is to specify an xxx-default Job
>> Template attribute that has no default value, such as
>> "orientation-requested-default" - in that case the Printer may apply a
>> default based on the document such as automatically applying
>> "orientation-requested" with a value of 4 (landscape) for a landscape
>> document.
>>
>> The "no-value" value may also be returned for read-only description
>> attributes that are a mandatory part of an object.  For example, the Job
> [...]

believed to be clean.