[IPP] Impressions vs. images for IPP FaxOut service

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Thu Nov 3 21:57:23 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

Your option 1 is consistent with the decision to follow the 5106.1
distinction between images and impressions. As IPP is extended to include
the MFD services beyond print, I think it is important to maintain the
distinction. With respect to FaxOut, I appreciate that some applications may
have lumped this service in with print, in which case using a different
attribute is a disruption. If we were just extending IPP to FaxOut, fudging
impression to mean images might be reasonable; but as Ira has suggested, it
would be particularly confusing in some other services.

However, although the impressions/images/sheets/pages issue has seemed
fairly clear for those of us who worked on 5106.1, it apparently has been an
issue for you; so I wonder if we are missing something?

Thanks,

Bill Wagner