[IPP] JPS3 comment on xxx-preferred

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jan 16 17:26:42 UTC 2012

On Jan 15, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Zehler, Peter wrote:
> Why do we have a bunch of xxx-preferred attributes?  It complicates the model with a bunch of attributes and is not general purpose enough to address all the possible conflicting attributes and values.

The idea was to have a -preferred attribute for every job/document template attribute that could cause a conflict.

> I would prefer to handle “xxx-preferred” using the collection syntax.  I think it is easier and requires fewer changes to the IPP encoding.  Defining “attributes-preferred” as a collection of attributes and permitting any template attributes to be included would be a simple generalization.  It would also allow a client to pick those attribute/values out to correct their request and not rely on printer substitution.

I prefer (no pun intended) the collection attribute syntax rather than introducing another attribute group tag.  In the definition for IPP, would you envision this being returned in the unsupported attributes group or in the job/document attributes group?

believed to be clean.