[IPP] media-input-tray-check-default

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jan 23 23:13:35 UTC 2012

All,

I am going through yet another round of updates to the IANA registry (this time for sure! :), and noticed that I still have the media-input-tray-check-default attribute tagged as "under review". I would like to resolve this before we submit our next round of updates to the registry.

BACKGROUND

PWG 5100.3 (Production Printing Set 1) defines the media-input-tray-check Job Template attribute thusly:

The “media-input-tray-check” Job Template attribute indicates that the Printer MUST check that the characteristics of the media in the identified input tray are the same as characteristics of the media identified by the Job's "media" Job Template attribute or matched (see section 3.13) by the Job's "media- col" Job Template attribute. The keyword values are the same input tray keyword values as are defined for the "media" Job Template attribute (see section 6.3 in this document and [RFC2911] Appendix C), i.e., 'top', 'middle', 'bottom', etc.

Independent of the "ipp-attributes-fidelity" operation attribute supplied by the client, if the characteristics differ, the Printer adds the ‘resources-are-not-ready’ value (see section 6.1) to the job's "job-state-reasons" attribute and MAY either (1) put the job into the ‘pending-held’ state or (2) start to process the job normally, but immediately stop the job (“job-state” = ‘processing-stopped’) and the Printer (“printer-state” = ‘stopped’). In either implementation, the operator can change the media in the input tray to agree with the job or can modify the job’s “media” or “media-col” attributes to agree with the input tray, depending on policy.

Table 1 (at the beginning of section 3) defines media-input-tray-check-default and -supported.

The issue is that there should not be a default media-input-tray-check value; like some other Job Template attributes (e.g. overrides), it does not make sense to have a default value for this particular attribute since it interacts with the media in the job ticket.

There are two ways to resolve this issue:

1. Drop media-input-tray-check-default from the registry and post an errata for 5100.3 removing the media-input-tray-check-default attribute from Table 1.

2. Update the definition of media-input-tray-check-default to include the "no-value" out-of-band value.

I prefer option #1.

Comments?

believed to be clean.