[IPP] question about IPP and icon file formats

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 17:51:03 UTC 2012

Hi Smith,

Here is the definition of "printer-icons" from the most recent
draft of IPP JPS3:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippjobprinterext3v10-20120131.pdf

5.6.29 printer-icons (1setOf uri)

The REQUIRED "printer-icons" Printer attribute lists one or more
Printer-resident images using "http:" or "https:" URIs. The referenced
images MUST be RGBA PNG [RFC2083] format, have square dimensions of 48x48,
128x128, or 512x512 pixels, represent the physical appearance of the
Printer, and show the same perspective/view of the Printer. If only one
image is provided, it MUST have dimensions of 128x128 pixels. Images MUST
be listed from smallest to largest dimensions. Images MUST provide an alpha
channel to mask the background surrounding the printer.

The Abstract of RFC 2083 says:

   "This document describes PNG (Portable Network Graphics), an
   extensible file format for the lossless, portable, well-compressed
   storage of raster images.  PNG provides a patent-free replacement for
   GIF and can also replace many common uses of TIFF.  Indexed-color,
   grayscale, and truecolor images are supported, plus an optional alpha
   channel.  Sample depths range from 1 to 16 bits.

   PNG is designed to work well in online viewing applications, such as
   the World Wide Web, so it is fully streamable with a progressive
   display option.  PNG is robust, providing both full file integrity
   checking and simple detection of common transmission errors.  Also,
   PNG can store gamma and chromaticity data for improved color matching
   on heterogeneous platforms.

   This specification defines the Internet Media Type image/png."

Does that answer all your questions?

Cheers,
- Ira (co-chair of IPP WG)

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) <
smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Can anybody provide me with some information about IPP and what facilities
> it provides to supply printer icons?  I have found the "printer-icons"
> attribute in the IPP Everywhere specification, which refers me to PWG
> 5100.JSP3, but so far haven't been able to fully track down the definition
> of that attribute.  Are there any other IPP operations or attributes for
> operations that provide icon information?
>
> Are either PNG or Windows Icon (.ico) image file formats specified by any
> IPP specification as formats that must be used or supported?  If the latter
> is specified or allowed, are there any royalty issues with using that
> format?  And with PNG files, is there a facility for the Printer Object to
> supply a set of files at resolutions, sort of like an unpacked .ico file?
>
> Thanks for any help or guidance,
> Smith
>

> --
> believed to be clean.