[IPP] WG Last Call - IPP Job and Printer Extensions - Set 3 (JPS3)(April 9 through April 18, 2012)

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Fri Apr 20 15:04:58 UTC 2012

Monochrome is defined as "the range of shades of a single Color to
white" and not a single colorant and not just black.

In the days when we have just black/white printers, monochrome came to
mean half-tone printing using the black colorant only; which is really
binary printing (one colorant and the white of the media) using halftone
technques to simulate the color "gray" (shading) versus true monochrome
printing that prints using various shades of the actual color gray.

Today, """"Black"""" monochrome printing is printing the color gray over
the range from black to white.  Since gray is produced using all
colorants, it is processed-monochrome that is important.

Another common case of actually monochrome is Sepia.   The color sepia
is not a single colorant but a single composite color (a combination of
rgb).

So if you want a definition using a single colorant, then this binary
printing using halftoning to simulation "shades" (intensity variations
of the colorant).

Glen