[IPP] Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC2911 (3072)

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue May 8 19:03:51 UTC 2012

Barry,

I did finally locate the discussions concerning this in the minutes of the Cloud Imaging WG at:

	ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/cloud/minutes/cloud-concall-minutes-20110822.pdf

The proposed errata simply removes the multiple document job restriction of the "multiple-document-handling" Job Template attribute so that single document and multiple document jobs are processed consistently.  That is the interpretation the Printer Working Group is using for all of its standards, including pending extensions to IPP for the IPP Everywhere project which introduces new attributes and operations to support printing from mobile devices to servers without printer-specific driver software:

	http://www.pwg.org/ipp

The "multiple-document-handling" attribute (and the interpretation that it also applies to single document jobs) is part of this work.  Related activities in the Semantic Model WG (PWG Job Ticket and Associated Capabilities) and Cloud Imaging WG (Cloud Print Model and Requirements, Cloud Multifunction Model and Requirements) also make use of this attribute.

There are even multifunction services (e.g. Copy) that do not have documents in their jobs, yet multiple-document-handling (and its equivalent Semantic Model element) is still used to indicate how copies are produced. (However, since RFC 2911 describes the Print service it is only useful for multiple-document-handling to apply to jobs with one or more documents...)

Hope this helps to clear things up!

believed to be clean.