[IPP] RFC: job-name and allowed characters, additions to IPP Everywhere

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu May 10 17:24:14 UTC 2012

All,

I recently got a CUPS bug report (http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4072) where control characters in the job-name value were causing problems with a particular IPP printer.

In doing some research on what is allowed for a name value, it seems that RFC 2911 and 3196 don't go beyond referencing the RFCs defining UTF-8 (3629) and US-ASCII (2045), and I don't see anything in those documents that would prevent the use of control characters in the range of 0 to 31 (decimal).  Appendix B of RFC 5198 (Unicode Format for Network Interchange) talks a bit about this issue but doesn't make any normative requirements.

Given the interoperability and security implications of control characters in name and text values, I would like to document the issues and possibly add some normative requirements. Here is what I'd like to add to IPP Everywhere:

1. Clients and Printers MUST NOT accept or transfer name values containing control characters. For US-ASCII that covers the characters from 0x00 to 0x1F (C0) and for UTF-8/Unicode it covers the characters from 0x00 to 0x1F (C0) and 0x80 to 0x9F (C1).

2. Clients and Printers MUST NOT accept or transfer text values containing control characters other than CR and LF.

3. Implementation guidance for Create-Job/Print-Job/Print-URI: Printers MAY filter out disallowed characters in job-name but MUST return job-name in the unsupported attributes group. Status code is client-error-unsupported-attributes-or-values (for ipp-attribute-fidelity=true or job-mandatory-attributes=job-name) or successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes (otherwise).

4. Add discussion of security considerations for logging of control characters, specific reference to RFC 5198.

Thoughts?

believed to be clean.