[IPP] media-type names and cotton?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jun 25 17:58:24 UTC 2012

Pete,

On Jun 25, 2012, at 5:09 AM, Zehler, Peter wrote:
> Will the “media’ top value of ‘bond’ be removed from the IANA registry on the next update?

Good question. While we've removed whole specs, we've not yet removed individual registrations from a spec. I can certainly mark "bond" by itself as deprecated in MSN2, and perhaps we can add a "deprecated" indication to the IPP registry?

IPP/2.0 does require printers to use new media names (e.g. iso_a4_210x279mm instead of iso-a4), so technically we could deprecate all of the 2911-defined media names in the registry, including "bond". However, then I'll need to update the media-color, media-source, and media-type registrations to list the specific values (I think right now they all import the corresponding names from media...)

All that said, we haven't actually stated a goal or strategy for the media type names, and the current names are a mix of styles. I've focused on adding missing media type categories (e.g. disc, fabric, glass, metal) and expanding the existing ones where it made sense, deprecating former top-level types (e.g. roll) when it made more sense to use others.

Ultimately my personal preference is for media type names to state first the intended usage (e.g. stationery, envelope, photographic, etc.) and then any modifiers for that usage (e.g. -letterhead, -window, -glossy, etc.) - this allows clients and printers to do intelligent things and users to concisely express the intent of a print job. Sadly, many of the current top-level types are hyphenated words so it will not always be possible to do "intelligent things"... :(

In the case of things like "bond" and "cotton", these say more about the material used for the media than the usage. "Archival" could be argued either way, but going back to the "intelligent things" argument a photo printing application might only show photographic media types - I'd much rather see a "photographic-archival-glossy" type than "archival-glossy" since the latter tells me (the user/client/printer) what the media is normally used for and allows other kinds of applications (e.g. word processor/spreadsheet) to hide the media from view (by default, anyways) so I can focus on picking a more appropriate/likely media.

believed to be clean.